Video: 9 Ways to Clear the Fog of Cancer Treatment
9 ways to clear the fog of cancer treatment
Cancer treatment and stress can affect your thinking. Try these tips for refocusing when you're foggy or forgetful.
- Make lists. Movies to see, to-do lists, people's names: Details can stump you during treatment.
- Get enough sleep. Inadequate rest drains your mind, so get your 7 to 8 hours a night.
- Challenge your brain. Play word games, do puzzles or brush up on that second language.
- Get more exercise. Regular activity reduces both mental and physical fatigue.
- Eat more produce. Fruit and veggies keep blood sugar steady and boost thinking power.
- Practice relaxation and mindfulness. Stress plays a major role in memory and focus.
- Follow a routine. A predictable schedule keeps you from feeling overwhelmed.
- Focus on 1 thing at a time. And hand off the tasks you can to others.
- Cut yourself some slack. It's OK to be forgetful; it takes time to heal.
Expert guidance from the doctors, nurses and specialists for cancer care at Mayo Clinic.
Get more resources and information by selecting a specific cancer type.