Video: Tips for Taming Cancer Stress
Tips for taming cancer stress
- Make a list of stressors. Let go of some, find support for others.
- Put your hand over your heart. Researchers say this simple, soothing action has a calming effect.
- Listen to music. Your favorite tunes can lower pain levels, especially surrounding treatments.
- Watch a funny movie. Laughter reduces cortisol, the main stress hormone.
- Get a massage. Studies say massage can help circulation and reduce anxiety.
- Practice deep breathing. Outside if possible. Being in nature improves your mood. Deep breathing helps you relax.
- Relax your body. The gentle movements of yoga or tai chi center your mind and ease anxious thoughts.
- Loosen up your schedule. Overscheduling can feel overwhelming. Give yourself enough time for each activity.
- Unplug sometimes. And skip the research that could lead to misinformation or worry.
- Say yes when others offer help. Allowing loved ones to pitch in lowers your stress and theirs.
Guidance from the doctors, nurses and specialists for cancer care at Mayo Clinic.