Video: Tips for Taming Cancer Stress
Tips for taming cancer stress
- Make a list of stressors. Let go of some, find support for others.
- Put your hand over your heart. Researchers say this simple, soothing action has a calming effect.
- Listen to music. Your favorite tunes can lower pain levels, especially surrounding treatments.
- Watch a funny movie. Laughter reduces cortisol, the main stress hormone.
- Get a massage. Studies say massage can help circulation and reduce anxiety.
- Practice deep breathing. Outside if possible. Being in nature improves your mood. Deep breathing helps you relax.
- Relax your body. The gentle movements of yoga or tai chi center your mind and ease anxious thoughts.
- Loosen up your schedule. Overscheduling can feel overwhelming. Give yourself enough time for each activity.
- Unplug sometimes. And skip the research that could lead to misinformation or worry.
- Say yes when others offer help. Allowing loved ones to pitch in lowers your stress and theirs.
Guidance from the doctors, nurses and specialists for cancer care at Mayo Clinic.
Get more resources and information by selecting a specific cancer type.